Acute to chronic insomnia changeover warns of depression risk By Lucy Piper.

The scholarly research, published in Sleep, involved 33 individuals with severe insomnia and 21 normal sleepers, none of whom had a past history of a sleep disorder or psychiatric illness. At baseline, people with severe insomnia had more stress and higher anxiousness and depression scores considerably, as measured on the Sociable Readjustment Rating Scale, the Perceived Stress Level, and A HEALTHCARE FACILITY Depression and Anxiety Scale, respectively, than normal sleepers. The two groups didn’t differ with regards to polysomnography rest continuity parameters significantly, however they did differ with regard to sleep architecture, with people with acute insomnia showing a greater %age of N2 sleep and reduced %age of N3 sleep . Among the individuals with acute insomnia, 42 percent still had insomnia three months later on and were categorized as having chronic insomnia, as the remaining 58 percent had remitted.Dopheide, Pharm.D., BCPP, University of Southern California, LA, CA Donald J. Filibeck, Pharm.D., M.B.A., CSP, AxelaCare Wellness Solutions, Lenexa, KS Jeffrey Fudin, Pharm.D., DAAPM, FCCP, Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Albany, NY Daniel H. Great, M.S., B.S.Pharm., Mercy Health Ministries, Springfield, MO Ann M. Jankiewicz, Pharm.D., BCPS, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL Thomas E. Kirschling, Pharm.D., M.S., M.S.L., Maxor National Pharmacy Solutions, LLC, Amarillo, TX Robert A. Lucas, Pharm.D., BCPS, Blount Memorial Hospital, Maryville, TN Karen E. Malcolm, Pharm.D., University of Florida Wellness Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL Joel C.